If you have a car, it is essential that you have a secure garage with a well-functional garage door. At the same time, it is equally important that you know how to perform small garage door repair tasks in case something goes wrong with your equipment.
Automatic overhead garage door operated on electric opener and springs. If you are not familiar with the mechanism of the garage doors, don’t try to attempt garage door repair on your own. There are plenty of garage door companies that offer efficient and valuable services at affordable rates. Visit their website to get their contact details. If you have decided to handle your malfunctioning garage door on your own, here are some of the steps that you might follow:
- If the metal tracks are loose, you should tighten the screws or bolts at the mounting brackets. However, which conducting garage door repair, if you find that garage door tracks are badly damaged, you should replace them.
- Make sure that the tracks ate properly aligned. Both the tracks should be at the same height on the wall of the garage. While inspecting the garage door, if you find that the tracks are not aligned the right way, lose the screws and bolts and then tap the tracks gently into their original position. Don’t forget to tighten the screws once you are done.
- While performing garage door repair work, make sure to clean the tracks using a mild household cleaner to remove the hardened dirt and grease. You should clean the rollers as well and then wipe out the rollers and tracks to keep them dry.
- Lubricate the rollers and tracks using a light silicone spray or powdered graphite on the tracks. You may also use any household oil to make them run smoothly and freely.
- During the garage door repair process, try to find out the loose hardware and tighten them accordingly. For a swing-up garage door system, check the plates where springs are mounted to ensure that screws are tightened securely. In other situations, check the condition of hinges and replace the damaged ones. If your garage door sagging on one side, you should fix it by servicing the hinges. Make sure that the wood on which hinges are installed is not chipped or cracked.
- Inspect the garage door springs to make sure that they are tensed properly. It should be hooked into the next hole or notch on each side of the garage door. If you face any difficulty while adjusting the garage door springs, call an expert immediately. In case, garage door springs have cable, you should try adjusting the tension by pulling the cable throughout the plate above the garage door and you should re-knot the end to maintain the tension.
- The modern garage door openers consist of a reversible safety system that drives a carriage along a rail right above the garage door. The carriage is connected to a drawbar that runs to the limited travel path of the garage door. The latest garage door opener models come with a radio receiving system. While attempting garage door repair on your own, make sure you are well aware of the garage door mechanism.